Hey, Dummy! Some Simple Rules To Follow ~
A fellow deputy sent this to me, it's pretty straight forward and
filled with common sense but contains a sort of hilarious overtone to it.
This was forwarded to me via e-mail. I don't know who wrote it, but it sure is appropriate.
Send this to all your friends you think might be in danger of getting
shot by a cop. Such shootings have been in the news a lot
We feel sorry for the victims families as we see Their grief. Often, they think officers should have used more restraint. We also feel bad for the police officers and their families, who are traumatized as well. These shootings are a tragedy for all involved.
Therefore, even though Im no law enforcement expert, Ive devised a five-point plan to help citizens avoid being shot by a cop. Admittedly, this plan wont prevent all shootings. A very few fall outside these parameters. But Id guess we could prevent 99.99% of them if everyone followed this plan.
So here are the rules:
1. Dont commit a crime. It seems rather elementary, Sherlock, that crime is a high-risk occupation/recreational pursuit, but that seems to escape some folks. They do a crime, get shot and wonder how this could possibly happen.
So dont beat your spouse. Dont rip off a convenience store. Dont do a drive-by shooting. Dont get spaced out on drugs. Dont sell drugs. Dont do a hit and run. Dont get drunk and go for a spin in your car. Dont get in a fight. In case youve missed it, crime makes cops think youre not such a good person. Society expects cops to go after you.
With loaded guns!!!
2. If you ignore rule No. 1 and they find you, dont try to flee. This just makes them think youre even a badder guy. Dont try to escape. Dont run red lights or ignore stop signs. Dont race through residential neighborhoods where children are playing or speed down crowded freeways. Dont sneak into some innocent persons home or backyard. Dont hide in the bushes or in a closet or under the back porch. Makes cops think youre up to no good.
3. If you disregard rules 1 and 2, and they still catch up to you, dont disobey a cops orders. Do exactly as he or she says. Dont make fast movements with your hands. Dont reach under your seat. Dont go for your coat pocket. Dont grab a shiny beer can or a tire iron or, for hecks sake, a toy gun. Do exactly what youre told. To do otherwise makes cops really edgy.
4. If youre boneheaded enough to disregard rules 1, 2 and 3 and youre still alive and somehow manage to get a gun or knife in your hand, dont point the gun at anyone. Dont act aggressively. Dont wave the knife around. Dont lunge at an officer. Dont shout that you want to die and youre going to take a few cops with you. This really gets them riled up.
5. If youve disobeyed rules 1, 2, 3 and 4, and amazingly, youre still breathing, dont expect your friendly neighborhood cop to be an instant psychiatrist. Dont expect him or her to understand that youre basically a nice person whos had a really bad day and this is just your way of crying out for help. Dont expect a cop to feel sorry that your wife left you, your dog growled at you and youre tired of the lousy weather. Dont expect him or her to empathize with your bad childhood or that society has done you a raw deal.
If you get to rule No. 4 and you violate it, you wont have time to think about rule No. 5, because youll be dead or seriously injured. So think about it in advance. Cops arent psychiatrists. We cant expect them to analyze a fleeing, gun-wielding criminal and conclude hes really just a lost soul trying to communicate his angst to the world. We expect them to react to an immediate threat and not worry about whats going on inside a persons head.
Most shootings do follow, at least roughly, some part of the pattern described above. So I have a hard time criticising an officer who must make a split-second decision in a terribly dangerous situation. Even if the officer makes a mistake, even if the person didnt really have a weapon, even if the person isnt a hardened criminal but a petty teenage thief, I cant fault the officer.
Its pretty simple. If you dont want to get shot by a
cop, dont commit a crime. Dont run. Dont disobey. If you
do those things and you end up with a bullet hole, whose fault is it?
If we take crime seriously, cops have to play for keeps. Personally, Im awfully glad the police officers are out there going after the bad guys.
Author Unknown ~